The Saxon cemetery at Upper West Field, Shepperton
David Longley & Robert Poulton
A warrior burial and several other inhumations were excavated here in 1868. Earlier, in 1812, a number of cremation urns had been found and destroyed.
This report uses contemporary descriptions to locate the site accurately for the first time, and includes a catalogue of the sword, shield boss, spearheads, pottery and other finds which are now in Guildford Museum and the Museum of London. Nearly all the datable material is of the late 5th or early 6th century. Concluding discussion sets the cemetery in the context of nearby Roman sites and the later Saxon cemetery at Shepperton Green.
[Transactions 33 (1982), pp 177 85; abstract by Francis Grew, 09-Dec-1997]
Home /Lectures /Conferences /Publications /Archives /Benefits of membership /Links